surgery day 2: morning

it was a long night for us, especially jon, who decided to stay at the hospital since rogan was still really tired and i will need to be here tonight to feed him, etc.  he did drink some pedialyte yesterday evening, but when given milk last night, he threw up.

when i arrived back at the hospital early this morning, the doctor was in the room discussing the probable need for a small blood transfusion.  he isn't in any major trouble or blood loss, but they want to be on the safe side and make sure his organs are getting adequate oxygen and such.
**update** he did get the transfusion, and it helped him feel better.  all went well with it.

the report overall, though, is very good.
the nurses and doctor said he had a good night,
his neurological checks are all great,
his blood pressure and breathing are good,
he is more swollen, but that is expected (we were told the peak of swollenness (is that a word?) will be 2-3 days post operation),
and that we should be seeing lots of improvement as the day goes on today.

about 9:00 am, rogan drank a bottle and kept it down.  he was even cooing a bit and trying to smile (i'm sure it was mostly just because he was so happy to see his mommy). 

and when i say "see" i mean squint with the smallest slits for eyes.  poor swollen 'asian' babe!

we are expecting to be moved to the regular rooms (non-ICU) sometime today.
that's about it for now,
we are looking forward to seeing the surgeon this morning and getting his take on rogan's progress. 

**update** the swelling continued to increase as the day went on and his eyes were completely closed by midafternoon.  they also got "bruised-looking."   he continued to get morphine and have a catheter throughout the second day.  though he looked pretty rough, i don't think he was feeling too much pain.  he slept a lot and wasn't really fussy.  

we had to stay in the PICU until around 7:30pm because there were no beds in the pediatric wing available.  we had been cleared to go to "the floor," way before that though.  

the surgeon said that everything was looking great and progressing nicely.  

 i got to hold and nurse rogan around 1:00pm and he was happier since he could eat.  it was definitely difficult to hold him with all the iv's, tubes, etc.  i was so happy and relieved when most of those were off (late 2nd day). 

rogan is such a tough little guy.  our surgeon was raving about how "well behaved" he is!  we are truly blessed to be his parents.  


Emily Gorsuch said...

oh poor baby!!! so sad! im glad he is doing good though...with i was there!

Judi said...

Jon & Andrea, We are praying earnestly for Rogan. Each of you have been on our hearts and in our prayers for weeks now. We are rejoicing that Rogan came through surgery so well and now is on the road to healing.

We are praying as Isaiah prayed: Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you,and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard. Isaiah 58:8

Romans 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Keep the updates coming and we'll keep praying.

Chelsea said...

awww... it must break your heart to see Rogan all swollen :( but... it sounds like the worst is over and it's all uphill from here! continuing to think about and pray for you guys daily!

Michelle said...

sweet sweet baby boy. i'm so thankful that you all got through all of this and he made it out with flying colors. :)